Charleston, W.Va. – May 31, 2017 – Put your engineering and design skills to the test! On June 3, 2017 from 11:00AM – 4:00PM, the Clay Center for the Arts and Sciences will hold a Toyota USA Foundation Family Fun Day featuring entertaining and educational activities and workshops related to cars.
From building and racing an air-powered car, to testing skills in a “crash test lab” and designing a virtual car, the Family Fun Day includes a variety of hands-on fun for all ages. Each activity is designed to challenge participants while strengthening skills in problem solving, science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics.
- Air-Powered Cars: Construct a balloon-powered car and race it on a designated track.
- Magnetic Maze Maneuvering: Build a maze and use a magnet wand to maneuver a toy car without touching it.
- Rubber Meets the Road: Test the friction of road surfaces and how it affects the speed of cars by evaluating various tire types and road conditions.
- All About Energy: Learn about potential and kinetic energy and incline planes by rolling a marble on a ramp.
- Crash Test Lab: Make an impact-resistant “vehicle” to protect an egg from a drop.
- Innovation Station: Design a virtual car with interactive digital design software.
After visiting each station, participants will be given a stamp in a passport book. After collecting all stamps, participants become eligible for a variety of prizes including, free museum admission, free planetarium shows, and even an annual family membership to the Clay Center!