Caperton Planetarium & Theater
The Caperton Planetarium and Theater has been re-imagined!
Upgraded Planetarium software has resulted in a huge improvement in brightness and resolution, with crisp images, sparkling stars and stunning details! In technical terms, the new projection system will display 30 million pixels, 60 times every second on the dome!
In addition to the amazing upgrades in picture quality, the new technology also brings the ability to showcase a variety of films and presentations in 3D! The 3D views are provided to the audience by utilizing active 3D glasses rather than the polarized lenses you would find in a regular cinema.
- Cosmic Adventure – 12:00 PM
- Robot Explorers in 3D! – 1:00 PM
- Live Show – 2:00 PM
- Pandas in 3D! – 3:00 PM
- Stars of the Pharaohs – 4:00 PM
Descriptions of the new content:
- Pandas – Pandas are a lovable, iconic, and — unfortunately — highly endangered species. In Pandas: The Journey Home, meet the dedicated team working tirelessly to save these captivating creatures from extinction. Filmmakers were granted unprecedented access to the China Conservation and Research Center for the Giant Panda to tell the story of our furry friends. The pandas’ fascinating habits and unique personalities will leave you with a huge appreciation for the animals and the individuals working to protect them. Witness an incredible story of survival and fall in love with these black and white gentle giants. Showing in 3D!
- Robot Explorers – Near the end of the twentieth century, we began launching unmanned probes into the far reaches of the solar system. What they discovered was amazing and, in some cases, unexpected. Now after dozens of probes have been deployed, the exploration continues. New space missions are underway, and many of these robust spacecrafts are still operational, beaming their knowledge back to Earth every day. We will pay tribute to these robots who have explored in our stead and experience what they have taught us about our solar system. Narrated by Brent Spiner of TV’s Star Trek: Showing in 3D!
- Stars of the Pharaohs – Travel to ancient Egypt to see how science was used to tell time, make a workable calendar, and align huge buildings. You’ll learn about the connection the ancient Egyptians felt with the stars and various astronomical phenomena, and experience some of the most spectacular temples and tombs of the ancient world recreated in all of their original splendor. Telly Award winner. Narrated by John Rhys-Davies, of the Indiana Jones films and The Lord of the Rings films.
- Cosmic Adventure– This show for families takes us on a roller coaster ride from the moon through the universe, our galaxy and our Solar System. This unforgettable high-speed adventure will immerse you in some of the most amazing sites in the Universe. Narrated by Nancy Cartwright of TV’s The Simpsons.
- What’s Up – Take a tour of our local Solar System and enjoy a breathtaking flight through the rings of Saturn in this live presentation. Watch ice particles encircling the planet seemingly jump out from the dome above and hang in front of their eyes on this voyage to the stars!
Shows will take place Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays at 12:00, 1:00, 2:00, 3:00 and 4:00PM.