With the option of going to school virtually this school year, we’d like to support your 3-7th grade student with their eLearning. Clay eLearners Club will offer your child a sense of normalcy by providing structure and socialization within small groups and while following COVID-19 guidelines*. Clay eLearners Club will provide a structured environment with reliable internet for your child to complete their virtual learning assignments in addition to everything they love about visiting the Clay Center including, enriching activities, demonstrations, and exhibit exploration!
*The Clay Center is adhering to the guidelines set forth by state and local officials, as well as guidelines established by the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources and the Centers for Disease Control, to mitigate exposure to and spread of COVID-19 among guests and staff. Clay Center activities, including Clay eLearners Club, are subject to cancellation based on information provided by the West Virginia COVID-19 County Alert System found here: https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx.
Program Start and End Dates: Monday, September 28th – Friday, January 15, 2021
Sessions will not take place Thanksgiving (Nov. 23-27) or Christmas (Dec. 21-Jan. 1)
8:00 – 8:30am Drop Off/Getting Students Setup
8:00 – 11:00am/12:00pm eLearning Assignments
12:00/12:30 – 2:00pm eLearning Assignments/STEM Stations
2:00 – 3:00pm Snack and Continued eLearning or Free Time
3:00 – 4:00pm Enrichment Activity (guided by Clay Center staff)
4:00 – 4:30pm Pickup
4:30 – 5:30pm After Care (Optional)
- Must register for full semester by Friday, September 25th
- Payment for Week 1 (Sept. 28th – Oct. 2nd) and Final Week (Jan. 11-15th) due at registration
- Weekly payment due the Monday prior to the following week
- Will receive a confirmation email following registration
- Lunch orders and After Care can be added on Fridays for the following week
Clay Center Members: $150 per student per week
Non-Members $175 per student per week
Lunch Ordered from Jimmy Johns or Chick-Fil-A: $10 per order
After Care Hours 4:30 – 5:30pm: $10 per student, per day
Students MUST bring the following:
- Lunch* and Snacks
*Lunch can be ordered each week for additional fee
- Labeled Refillable Water Bottle
- Mask and Personal Hand Sanitizer
- Digital Learning Device
- Charging Cable
- Headphones with Microphone
- Applicable Login/Password Information
- Any additional notebooks or paper assignments they may need to complete and/or supplies needed to complete school-related projects
What is Clay eLearners Club?
Clay eLearners Club is a program for 3rd – 7th grade students that provides a structured environment with reliable internet for your child to complete their eLearning assignments, and to experience socialization with peers while partaking in enrichment activities including hands-on projects, demonstrations, Museum exploration and more.
Will Clay Center staff help my child with assignments or make sure assignments are completed?
Clay Center staff will provide technical support* for virtual learning only; NO instructional assistance will be offered for school-related assignments. If students need instructional support, they will be directed to message their individual teacher for assistance. Clay Center staff is not responsible for ensuring the completion of daily assignments.
*Technical support can include assisting students with login, light troubleshooting of equipment challenges, and/or making sure devices are being used properly.
Can I register my child for only certain weeks/Can they join the program mid-semester?
This program is designed to accommodate eLearners for a full school semester. Registration for this program will close on Friday, September 25th. All student participants will need to be registered on or prior to this date. Participants will not be permitted to register mid-semester.
Will Clay eLearners Club be offered the weeks of Thanksgiving and/or Christmas?
The eLearners Club program WILL NOT be in session the weeks of Thanksgiving (Nov. 23-27) and Christmas (Dec. 21 – Jan. 1), but WILL be in session on Election Day (Nov. 3) and Veteran’s Day (Nov. 11).
What does my child need to bring?
• Lunch* and Snacks
• Labeled Refillable Water Bottle
• Mask and Personal Hand Sanitzier
• Digital Learning Device
• Charging Cable
• Headphones with Microphone
• Applicable Login/Password Information
• Any additional notebooks or paper homework and/or supplies needed to complete school-related projects
*Lunch can be ordered from Jimmy Johns/Chick-Fil-A at a cost of $10 per order
Are there scholarships available?
Full Scholarships are available to Kanawha County Title 1 students on a limited basis*
*Must complete scholarship application Clay Virtual Learners Club Scholarship Application by Thursday, September 24th. Scholarship recipients must commit to a full semester and have reliable transportation. Scholarship does not cover lunch or After Care from 4:30-5:30pm.
What is your policy on registration, cancellation, and refunds?
Registration for the full semester will close on Friday, September 25th, you must be registered by the end of business to participate. Payment for first week (Sept. 28-Oct. 2) and final week (Jan. 11-15) is due at time of registration.
All cancellations must be made a full week prior to Friday, September 25th for a full refund of registration payment.
Refunds will not be given for individual days/weeks your child is absent.
The last week deposit will not be refunded if you decide to leave the program prior to January 11th.
Clay Center reserves the right to cancel eLearners Club due to low enrollment, in which case a refund will be issued. This decision will be made prior to Monday, September 28th. Once the program begins, it will not be cancelled, even if enrollment decreases.
What if my child finishes early or does not have assignments?
Each day we will follow a schedule that will allow students time to login and access assignments/instruction. If a student finishes early or does not have a designated assignment during the scheduled eLearning time, they will need to engage in a self-guided activity at our provided STEM Stations or they can explore learning apps on their iPads, bring a book, sketch book, journal or activity book from home. Gaming devices and cell phones will not be permitted.
What will students do outside of elearning time?
Throughout each day we will provide times for students to enjoy free time to play low-contact games and socialize, engage in Museum exploration, and enjoy programs in the Caperton Planetarium and Theater.
What is your policy on addressing behavioral issues?
Our goal is to provide a welcoming and supervised space for all students. We will keep all students informed of behavior expectations and will communicate with parents about any persisting issues. If a student continues to cause disruption or cannot adapt to the Clay eLearners Club structure, we reserve the right to cancel the student’s registration without refund.
What if my child needs medication or has special medical needs?
We will provide a medical release form via email prior to your child attending. You can indicate on the form any medical needs or allergies your child has. Any medications your child may need will be self-administered, Clay Center staff will not administer any medication with the exception of an Epi-pen or emergency inhaler. If your child requires an Epi-pen or inhaler, please provide a labeled Epi-pen or inhaler for the week.
What is your COVID notification plan?
Each student will undergo a daily screening each morning upon arrival. If a student develops COVID symptoms during the day, they will be immediately isolated, and parents will be called for pick up. A thorough cleaning of any areas they visited will take place immediately. If a positive case is identified, we will immediately notify all students’ families.
COVID 19 Special Measures
Special Measures Concerning COVID:
- During the check-in process each morning the following will take place:
- Students will get their temperature checked with a contactless thermometer.
- Students will be taken directly to their classroom space by a Clay Center staff/volunteer where they will place their lunch bag on a designated table and will start setting up their workspace.
- Adults will be asked a few short Covid-19 screening questions on behalf of their child(ren).
- Adults will be asked the first name of the person picking up their child at the end of the day. We WILL NOT release your child to anyone other than the adult identified at check-in. If the pickup contact changes, please notify Clay Center staff.
- All staff will be required to wear face coverings. Masks for students 9 and older are required, and strongly recommended for students younger than 9 yrs.
- Students will sit at individual tables during eLearning times, and classroom groups will be limited to 10 – 15 students.
- During Free Time Activities, students will have an assortment of low-contact games and activities to choose from. If your child would like to bring a book or sketch book for these times, that is welcomed. Gaming devices and cell phones are not permitted
- During bathroom breaks, students will be directed 2-3 at a time to use restroom facilities and to wash hands prior to lunch and snack.
- As much as possible, supplies will not be shared and will be regularly cleaned.
Please contact the Clay Center box office by phone at 304.561.3570 with any additional questions. Box Office hours of operation are Tuesday – Saturday 9:00am – 4:00pm.